On-Campus Employment For J-1 Students

Many international students at IUI earn income by working on campus. On campus employment refers to any job on campus in which you are paid by Indiana University.

Exceptions to the “paid by IU” requirement exist for businesses that operate on campus for the purpose of serving students. One example is the Barnes and Noble bookstore. Another is Chartwells Campus Dining. Jobs paid by IU Health are not considered on-campus employment.

If your DS-2019 is not issued through OIA, you must contact your program sponsor to find out if you can apply for on campus work.

How do I get authorization to work on campus?

To request and receive your work authorization, please log in to Atlas and submit the “J-1 On-Campus Work Authorization” e-form under J-1 Student Services. Please be aware that working without proper authorization is a violation of J-1 status, and may result in the loss of benefits of your J-1 program. Please remember to submit your request at least 5 days before you need to begin working.

On campus employment may only be authorized for up to 12 months at a time. You must apply and receive authorization for each 12-month period, or for the duration of your assistantship, fellowship, or on campus job—whichever is shorter.

Authorization is specific to a job. If anything about your job changes, you will need to apply for authorization again. The possible types of on-campus employment are assistantship (research assistantship/graduate assistantship/associate instructorship), fellowship or scholarship that requires employment, or any other on campus work (libraries, campus dining halls, etc.).

What are the rules I must follow to be legally employed?

You must:

  • Enroll as a full-time student during the fall and spring semesters.
  • Work no more than 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters.
  • Work full time only during official university breaks (summer break, winter break and spring break).

Your 20-hour weekly maximum is a combined total for all on campus jobs you have. Hours may not be averaged over a period of time.

If you wish to work more than 20 hours and the work is in your major field of study and is an integral/critical part of your academic program, please see Academic Training.

Where can I find a job?

The Office of Student Employment is your best source for assistance in finding an on campus job. On their website, you will find Jagjobs, which is an online listing of available jobs. In addition to using Jagjobs, you should visit campus offices to inquire about any open positions and deliver your resume. The Office of Student Employment provides workshops and resources about resume writing, interview skills, networking, and many other employment-related topics.

I found a job! What do I do now?

Your employer will ask you to complete a form called the I-9 to show your eligibility to work in the United States.

Learn how to complete the I-9 form ››

If you don’t have one already, you should apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).

Learn how to apply for an SSN ››

Your employer may require a “Criminal Background Check” if you have been present in the U.S. for more than one year. If you have been in the U.S. for less than one year, you are exempt. The university policy on background checks is available online.

View the university background check policy ››

Information for Employers

The rules on this page apply only to students in J-1 status. You may confirm a student’s visa status by looking in SIS.

View the online resource for hiring F-1 and J-1 students ››