General Tax Information

The US Federal and Indiana State income tax return filing and payment deadline is April 15, 2024. 

Forms and information are available through the U.S. Federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Indiana Department of Revenue (INDOR). If you worked in a state other than Indiana in 2023, you may need to file income tax returns in that state as well.

  • Do I have to pay taxes?

    All international persons living in the U.S. are required to comply with the U.S. requirement to file federal and state income tax “returns” and pay any required taxes by April 15, 2024, for any U.S. income received in 2023.  If you paid any taxes in error, filing a U.S. and Indiana State tax return is the only way to receive a refund of these taxes.

  • I made no U.S. income. Do I have to do anything?

    If you made no U.S. income in 2023, you still must complete form 8843 if you were in the U.S. in 2023 and are still here. The instructions for completing form 8843 can be found here.

  • Do I need any forms to complete my tax return?

    You cannot complete your tax forms until you have received a report of the previous year's income.  This is generally reported on form W-2 or 1042-S.  IU employees received the W-2 in late January.  The 1042-S is typically prepared and sent by IU’s tax office in February. If you received additional income—say as an independent contractor—you may receive a 1099MISC. It is common to not receive all of these forms, only those appropriate for your tax situation. 

    If you are a non-resident for tax purposes, you will be able to use Sprintax to prepare your federal tax return. Sprintax will help you complete form 1040NR and form 8843. Sprintax will enable you to compile all forms of U.S. income regardless of the type of form the income was reported on.  You can prepare your federal tax return with Sprintax for free by entering a discount code (found in the Insurance and Finances menu in Atlas) in the "Review your order" page in Sprintax.

  • State tax resources

    Sprintax - You can use Sprintax to complete your state tax forms for $44.95 with IU's discount code.  

    IN DOR online resources - Alternately, the Indiana Department of Revenue (IN DOR) makes Indiana state tax forms and instructions available online.  You can use these resources if you would like to complete your Indiana State tax return at no cost. Below are additional Indiana state tax resources: 

    • Download Form IT-40PNR from this page (scroll down to the IT-40PNR section). You will complete all schedules but B and G
    • IN DOR prefers that you email your questions to
    • Call IN DOR Customer Service at 317-232-2240 from 8am-4:30pm. We recommend you call early to avoid long wait times.
    • Call one of 12 IN DOR District Offices across the state for assistance with state tax questions. 

    OIA will be providing information on state tax workshops and resources available to you as a student so you may complete your own Indiana state tax return. 

If you believe that you should have received a W-2 or a 1042-S and haven’t, you can request a Form W-2 from this website or you can request Form 1042-S from here.  You can also request either of the forms in paper from this link.
You may receive a form 1098-T or a form 1095. These are not needed if you are a non-resident for tax purposes.

The Office of International Affairs also has Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) acceptance agents on staff who can assist you in applying for an ITIN so that you can file your federal tax return if you or your dependents are not eligible for a social security number.

You must report your personal information using IU’s secure system called Foreign National Information System (FNIS).