Add a New Employee/Scholar E-Doc

The new employee will need a university ID number before the department can access the Atlas system.

Even if the scholar will not have an employment relationship with IUPUI (will not be paid by IUPUI), the department should still initiate an "add a new person" e-doc for an academic no-pay position.

Please always use the search match function before initiating a new e-doc to make sure that the new employee has not previously been assigned a university ID number.

For a person without a social security number use "999-99-9999." For a person outside the U.S., use the department address.

If the employee will have an academic "no pay" position, you can complete the hire at any time even if the employee is not at IUPUI. This type of employment relationship does not require an I-9. Therefore you may want to complete the hire in advance of arrival, in order to facilitate access to e-mail and other university systems. Please note this is not possible for someone who will be in a paid employment relationship with IUPUI (requiring an I-9).

After the department has initiated an "add a new person" e-doc for either a non-immigrant or permanent resident employee (either paid or unpaid), the e-doc will route to OIA. OIA does an evaluation of current immigration status and adds relevant visa permit and citizenship data.

If the employee is currently in the U.S. in a non-immigrant status we will need more documentation than the department needs to complete the I-9. Although an employment authorization document (ead) may indicate the ability to work in the U.S., we will need to see further documents which verify citizenship and visa permit status. Please submit to OIA:

  • Copy of the personal profile form
  • Copy of supporting visa documents such as: passport, I-94 card, I-797 approval notice, I-20, DS-2019, or permanent resident card. If you are unsure of the scholar's current visa status, send us the documents that you have and we will make a determination of what further documentation is needed.

If the employee is outside of the U.S. and will enter the U.S. in a non-immigrant status in the future, please submit to OIA:

  • Copy of personal profile form.
  • Copy of passport (if available)
  • In the notes section at the bottom of the e-doc indicate the visa type that will be requested and that this person is outside the US.

OIA will add the relevant data and approve the e-doc. Our office will send you an e-mail message with the university id number once the e-doc has been approved.

Please note that your non-immigrant employee can rarely complete their portion of the E-Verify I-9 certification until their first date of employment with IU.