Dependents of F-1 Students

Many F-1 students come to the United States with their families. The F-2 visa is for a dependent spouse or an unmarried child who is under the age of 21. F-2 status enables dependents to stay in the United States during the F-1 student’s program.

Funding Documentation

F-1 students must prove that they have financial support to fund their dependents in F-2 status. You should be prepared to document funding for each dependent, funding amounts can be found on our Tuition & Fees page (see financial information or estimated expenses document for graduate or undergraduate students for current amounts).

Requesting F-2 Dependent Documents

Dependent documents can be requested in two ways: as part of the admissions process or once the F-1 student has arrived to the US. If you plan to bring your family with you at the beginning of your study, you should submit your dependent documents and funding as part of your admission process.

If you plan to bring your dependents to the United States after you have already begun your study, you will need to request documents from your Atlas account. To request documents for your dependent complete the Dependent Document Request located in your Atlas F-1 Student Services menu. Complete this eForm with your Dependent’s information. You will need to attach copies of new financial documentation, your dependent’s passport ID page, and proof of your relationship (marriage or birth certificate).

Once this is received by OIA, we will begin processing your request for documents and notify you when they are ready for pickup.

Other topics of interest for F-2 dependents:

  • Travel Outside the United States

    Dependents follow the same travel procedures as students.

    See F-1 Travel guidance »

  • Enrollment in IUPUI Courses

    F-2 Dependents are able to study at IUPUI part-time. This means that they must remain enrolled in 11 or less credits for an undergraduate program or 7 or less credits if enrolled in a graduate program. They may complete the entire degree program as long as the F-2 stays enrolled part-time. NOTE: if the program is completed in F-2 status, the F-2 dependent will not qualify for any work authorization at any point.

    School-age children (up to 18) can study in primary and high school in the United States.

  • Work authorization

    F-2 Dependents are not eligible to work in the United States.

  • Dependent Remaining Here While F-1 Travels

    An F-1 student must maintain his or her status in order for the F-2 dependent to stay in the United States. If the F-1 student is out of the country for a significant period of time, this might affect the F-2’s ability to remain in the United States. Contact us for help with your specific situation.