While you are studying in the United States, you may wish to work, either to gain experience in your field of study or simply to make some money. As an F-1 student, you may be eligible to work both on and off campus.

However, you need to get authorization before beginning work in many cases. You must also follow the rules and restrictions that apply to your employment.

To remain in status, it is extremely important that you follow the federal regulations regarding employment. It is a serious violation of your F-1 status to work without authorization. Contact an International Student Advisor at OIA if you have questions.

Employment Options for F-1 Students

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is a job on the IUPUI campus where you are paid by IUPUI/Indiana University. F-1 students are often employed in student hourly positions or assistantships. Learn more »

Students who wish to work on any IU campus other than IUPUI should send an email to the Office of International Affairs (oia@iupui.edu) or call 317-274-7000 to make an appointment with an international student advisor to discuss this in advance of accepting any employment.

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is work that’s integral to your academic program, usually performed off-campus and in your field of study while you are still enrolled as a student. Learn more »

Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is work done for an off-campus employer in your field of study, usually following graduation. This authorization is granted by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more »

Severe Economic Hardship

If you suffer severe, unexpected economic hardship that could keep you from finishing your degree, you could be eligible to apply for this special type of off-campus employment authorization. Learn more »