Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN)

An ITIN is needed in some cases to file taxes

If you had U.S. income (such as a scholarship or fellowship) and you are not eligible for a social security number (SSN), you will need to apply for an ITIN. Contact the Office of International Affairs to request further information. You will need to provide us with proof of your award, for example your initial information letter.

If you are applying for an ITIN during tax season, you will complete your federal tax return using the Sprintax program. You will then need to make an appointment with OIA so that we can help you finalize the paperwork. Your tax return will be sent first to the ITIN processing office. The IRS will issue you an ITIN and then forward your return on for processing. 

You can complete the necessary forms to apply for an ITIN using Sprintax but you will be charged a fee. OIA can assist you at no additional charge.

Please note we can also help you apply for an ITIN for your eligible dependents. Your dependents are only eligible if you are from Canada, Mexico, Korea, or India (for India—students only) and you are filing a federal tax return which includes them.